A little late but I have just sown my courgettes for this year and as I was writing the notes up in my diary I realised that I have an aversion to green courgettes. Can’t say I had ever noticed before, and have happily bought green courgettes from the supermarket and cooked them but when it comes to allotment choice … so here goes,
- Floridor – round – yellow
- Early prolific straight neck – bumpy skin – yellow
- Pattison Blanc – patty pan so flat pancake shape – white
- Burpees golden zucchini – umm yes – yellow
There are two green courgettes too but you get the drift,
- Early gem – this is THE one, normal, straight – green
- Picolo – round green striped
I am not quite sure why this is, I can definitely say that floridor has a lovely flavour, as does the straight neck bumpy but is there something unconscious that drives me to yellow courgettes rather than green. Who knows, I don’t thats for sure. Answers on a postcard please.
Do you go out of your way to grow varieties different to those that are the standard ones available?